OpenGeo is seeking a talented user experience developer to design and implement creative user interfaces for our innovative open source geospatial software.
You will contribute to open source projects that change the ways international governments, scientists, and academics use data and share results. Working with a team of geospatial software experts, you’ll help to build software that enables analysis and sharing of spatial information for crucial projects around the globe ranging from transportation to disaster management.
A qualified candidate must have:
- at least 3 years of solid UI/UX experience
- excels at taking feature lists and turning them into clever and intuitive user interfaces
- proficiency with prototyping tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and OmniGraffle
- demonstrated knowledge of principles of information architecture
- familiarity with user research methods
- a commitment to producing quality work on aggressive timelines
- natural curiosity balanced with pragmatism—you are always up for trying out something new, but you know how to pick the right tool for the job
Desired, but not required:
- knowledge of web development or graphic design
- solid background in geospatial technologies or related field
- experience in open source software and communities
- familiarity with version control systems, especially Git
- a knack for working in remote but close-knit teams
We invest in the best people and treat them right. We offer competitive salaries and great benefits (all the basics, plus five weeks of vacation and lots of snacks). Your work will see the light of day, and your code will be free as in freedom. Most importantly, we offer a challenge: to build software that will help change the status quo.
OpenGeo is a small but growing organization focused on bringing the best enterprise open source geospatial software to organizations and governments around the world. Our team is distributed from Austria to Argentina, with higher concentrations in New York, NY, Washington DC, and Victoria, BC. We strongly prefer candidates who are willing to work out of one of our hub cities.
To ApplySend your resume, portfolio, and samples of your work, as well as a cover letter letting us know why you’re interested in working for OpenGeo.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter using the Apply Now button at the bottom of the job posting.
Be sure to let us know what you think you would bring to this position and to OpenGeo. You can visit our Careers page to find out more about work at OpenGeo.