Our PostGIS Team
Samuel has worn multiple hats during his 12-year affair with spatial technologies: user, print cartographer, web-mapper, integrator, scripter/programmer, trainer, analyst, manager.
Paul has worked on geospatial software for over 13 years, as a programmer and consultant. He co-founded the PostGIS spatial database project in 2001, and is an active developer and project steering committee member.
PostGIS “spatially enables” the PostgreSQL open source relational database. The database can then be used to store and query spatial data (points, lines and polygons).
- High performance, robust spatial database built on PostgreSQL
- Simple Features for SQL (SFSQL) compliance
- Proven reliability and transactional integrity (ACID compliance)
- Provides spatial representations of geometry types (points, lines, polygons)
- Support for common and advanced spatial operations such as geometry creation and conversion, reprojection, buffer, convex hull, generalization, union, and more
- Geodetic support for measurements across the globe/dateline
- Command-line and graphical tools for flexible management
PostGIS is widely supported as a spatial database back-end to client and server software, including: